It’s that time of year again – tax time! Making an appoitnment for tax preparation is just part of what you need to do; the other is bringing what we need to the appointment. Odds are you’ve got receipts stuffed into shoe boxes and envelopes with no organization. To save you time and money during this stressful time we offer ten common documents to bring to a tax prep appointment:
1. Current identification and tax id numbers will be needed to file your taxes.
2. Alimony and child support payment information for the tax year both for sent and received payments.
3. Income statements such as W-2 and 1099. W-2s are issued by employers to employees while 1099s are issued by businesses to contractors. You may also bring your last paystub of the year as proof of annual income.
4. Mileage log for work or volunteer positions. Keep a notebook in your car and mark your mileage especially if you use your car for business purposes. You may be eligible for the $.555 per mile credit.
5. Bank information so we can set your refund to be direct deposited into your account.
6. Gambling winnings are counted as income and you may receive a W-2G form.
7. If you are a new client we may need to see your previous years of tax returns.
8. Receipts for home improvements that may be eligible for refunds from the state and federal. Common things include hot water heaters, solar anything and energy efficient appliances.
9. Statements from the sale of capital like real estate and investments.
10. Receipts for items that you may receive refunds or deductions for such as out of pocket medical expenses, non-reimbursed work-related expenses and business expenses if you are a business owner.
We are currently accepting appointment for individual and business tax preparation clients. Schedule your appointment by calling 480-355-1398.